Monday, September 20, 2021

Rapport de Rabat: Emergency Dentist Visit

On Monday morning while eating my breakfast I felt a nice crunch and spat out what appeared to be a tooth! For a few days I had felt like there was something wrong with my tooth and apparently it was my crown falling off! Thankfully Chris had just been given the name and information for an English speaking dentist the previous Friday and shared with me the image he had of a copy of the business card.

First, I tried looking up the address. No luck. Then I tried looking up the street.  No luck. Then I tried finding the name of the business. No luck - unless I was driving to France. I am assuming this is a common occurrence as the business card back is a map. On the map it showed the names of some other streets (no luck) and then the name of a building - Cinema Royale. THANK GOD Google knows that one. 

So then I pack up the girls after profusely apologizing for ruining our first day of fun - with the car and adventures to have - and snacks and activities and we all head out. The driving there part was okay. The business is in the medina which is the old city area - behind large walls and pretty busy/crowded compared to where we live. We survived the chaos that comes with driving, went the wrong way down a street (just once), and were able to find a (seemingly illegal) parking spot. After heading out walking the wrong direction, we turned around and made it to the office!

The door of the dentist office was closed and locked with a metal gate over it. I can tell from the sign they should be open so I try calling and Abigail (so boldly) knocks. Thankfully they answer the door before the phone and even more thankfully the person who answers the door says that she does speak English. I am trying to explain to her why I am there and cannot find the word I am looking for (crown) and am fumbling (in English) as I try to get into my purse to get the small plastic container I put my crown in to show her what I mean and she ever so politely says "I do understand English, you can talk normally". I AM TRYING TO! 

We get into the small office and she has us all sanitize our shoes and sanitize our hands. I then have to put little booties over my shoes and put a hairnet on. We get to go to the small waiting room were I get a super short new patient form and wait. As we didn't have an appointment we wait a little over an hour to see the dentist before I get called back into his office.  His office, according to my FIL, is old-school where he has his desk, the regular dentist chairs and related paraphernalia and 2 guest chairs. 

The dentist has maybe an assistant who has me put my personal face mask in a large plastic bag then I get to sanitize again! In the chair there no comfort of the tinted glasses to protect my eyes from the bright light (annoying) and then the dentist physically SHOVES the crown onto my tooth and I forget all amount the previous eye discomfort. I think he put something on the crown to glue it back on but they don't have the curing gun thing I am use to (usually has an orange shield and beeps - I think its UV). 

After he is done and has fully complimented the quality of my crown, described it as a "cute little hat", and congratulated me on getting to the dentist as quick as I did - which made the fixing much easier. The doctor goes to the desk in his office and writes the bill for the services - 500 dirham. They don't take my US insurance directly so I just pay them cash. This is 56 USD. As we are leaving, I thank the girls for being so good in the waiting room (a very nice woman who was also waiting entertained them a bit) and for coming with me. Abigail is quick to respond that 1) its not like they had a choice and 2) that it was the worst way to spend their day. Ah, from the mouth of babes. I tried to smooth them a bit with a purchase of some snacks and a stop at the park right by the dentist office that (THANK GOD AGAIN) has a playground and not just grass and trees (which apparently are the worst). 

Mission: Accomplished

No comments: