Wednesday, August 8, 2007

NYC: A Year in Review

While I am looking at just about 24 hours left in the Big Apple, I thought it was the perfect time to sit and reminisce about the year I have spent on the East Coast. I arrived here last August not fully knowing what to expect. I cannot believe how quickly this year has gone by. It seems like just yesterday I was taking the 4 train to the Bronx and wandering through the sweltering heat to 390 for my interview. The 182 days of school went quicker than expected in reality. It is hard to remember the dark days of the fall when I wasn't sure I would make it - and for that I am thankful. Summer school has gone by quickly too, which I am eternally thankful for. Attempting to "teach" pain in the butt 8th grade balls of hormones in the raging heat really isn't the best way to spend one's summer before leaving their friends and family - despite what you might have heard.

I have decided that living in a big city isn't always that great. For the year that I have been here I might be walking away with a handful of people who I will stay in touch with. Better than nothing and I suppose it should be expected mildly as I am moving to a different continent. Sadly, living in the midst of 8.2 million people hasn't drastically improved my love life. It has however taught me that the world does have nice people in it though even if the majority of them will stay strangers.

I wish I could think of more to say that was witty and sincere, but I can't. I am exhausted. I have moved, and packed, and repacked, and repacked. Honestly, it's just too hot out to think let alone do anything else. I am amazed at myself for how much I am NOT taking with me to China. While to the outsider it will look like a lot, and I am sure to my 3 up coming airlines it will look like enough for extra fees, I am only checking 2 suitcases. I have whittled down my extensive wardrobe into 2 suitcases. This amazes me. I know I will survive without all of the extra clothes, and I don't have to be a fashionista at every turn, but deciding on the Chosen Clothes was an arduous task. Anyone who knows me well will get this: I am only bringing 8 pairs of shoes. 2 of those are running shoes. I think I might die. Or perhaps I will just have to find a place in Pingxiang where they can accommodate my giantess feet.

I feel like the next 14 days are going to blow by me. I am looking forward to being in Seattle, even if it is to say goodbye again. I am still frustrated at the fact that my dates got moved earlier so those of you in So Cal that I had planned to see got shut out. While my time is busy, as of yet it still remains relatively free. I will say for one last time, if you want to see me, call me when I am in your hood. If you chose to not make time to see me or you feel you are too busy to give me even an hour of your precious time...I don't really know what to say. It's not like I am MOVING TO CHINA or anything. I am sure we can catch up later. If I am able to mend my broken heart and decide to continue speaking to you at that time that is.

This concludes my final NYC blog.


RIP NYC
08.06.06 to 08.09.07
big, dirty, busy, home


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachael,
Your Mom forwarded this to me. How nice to 'hear' your thoughts after so many years.
The photo... AWESOME.. you look so much alike. What a nice tribute to your beautiful mother.
Glad to hear running shoes are still a priority. I just got back from running the steens rim run for the second year. I improved over last year by 5 minutes and won my age division. ( one benefit of getting on in years:)
I wish you safe travels and yet another wonderful adventure.
Love,
Cindy