Sunday, June 8, 2014

Wedded Bliss


For sure not the final adventure in this relationship, but surely the next big one, Chris and I got married on the 25th. The day was sunny and beautiful, everyone had a great time, and there were red velvet cupcakes - what more could a girl ask for?

For the last year I have been asking a lot actually. Mostly my questions have been to married friends and family asking them if it feels different to be married hoping desperately that they would say you suddenly felt like a shiny rainbow unicorn. Why this need? Heaven only knows.

Living together before marriage was a requirement for both of us. We had already put our lives together as much as we could. We had spent time with each other's families. We had Nacho, Kolby, Sid, the fish, and some plants I keep trying to kill. We survived 4 months of training and 3 years of grad school.  Our relationship has always been practical and for anyone who knows me, they know that would rank high for me. Over dinner with some friends Chris said quite simply he didn't want things to change after we got married - that he likes our relationship the way it is. And the truth is so do I - why do I feel like a shiny rainbow unicorn is even needed? Why can't being married be enough? Now that the day has actually come and we are officially married, the truth is, it is enough just to be married. I don't need a shiny rainbow unicorn and I don't think people need me to have that either so I am happy with what it is: the start of a happily married life built on the solid foundation of a practical relationship filled with love.

It is still new so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I don't feel like a wife yet. I can still count the number of times I have called him my husband. The paperwork is a hassle. I have yet to perfect my new signature. And there is this flutter in my heart when I see the ring on his finger and I know that he is mine from now until forever. And that last feeling, that flutter, is the one that I don't ever want to fade.

No comments: