Monday, May 12, 2008

Earthquake

As many of you know, there was a huge quake in China yesterday. While the epicenter was 3 provinces away from where I live  we did not feel it here in Pingxiang. The magnitude of the quake changes depending on what source you are reading from, but it was in the high 7's at least. The death tolls are also incredibly high - 10,000 and growing steadily. The quake hit during work and school so many people were trapped in or killed by falling buildings. I have no idea what China's earthquake codes are, but I know most people build their own houses of brick so they can't be that structurally sound. My thoughts now only go to the victims, their families, and the people attempting relief efforts. I hope that China accepts the foreign help it is offered and that foreign disaster relief is offered freely and quickly.

No comments: